Sunday, September 13, 2015

Hand-Forged Knives, Powder Horns, and Rabbit Pot Pie: My Brother Has Been Busy!

"Why do jackrabbits get such a bad rap? They are so good! It's like those guys who say you can't eat a wild boar over 200lbs because it tastes terrible. It's simply not true! I guess we let them keep thinking that though...more for us!"- My brother

I have always looked up to my older brother Justin. He's the type of guy that would give you the shirt off of his back if you needed it! Unlike most big brothers he was always kind and patient with his younger brother, and I have always deeply valued his friendship.

He also happens to be a badass and, as a Smith, he is of course quite talented with any craft he takes up.

He came to visit me in the woods over summer and after a couple of outings he took a jackrabbit with his old trysty Sheridan .20cal pellet rifle. He's been hunting with the same pellet gun since he was 11 years old!


The rabbit went to another pot pie which Justin said was incredibly tasty!


Beyond bunnies, Justin has been working away with a hammer, anvil, and forge. He has produced some excellent blades over the past few months and even gave me one!



Mine is the Kephart with the incised bone handle on the left
 
He even made the leather sheath in the image above!
 
After a while, Justin mixed things up a bit and began crafting powder horns for our black powder muzzle-loading rifles! I can't wait to takeout our old .50cal's with these beauties on our hips!
 
 
 
Justin and his buddy Eric also got out for some very productive freedive-spearfishing recently...4 lingcod and a nice cabazone is not a bad catch at all! Fish and chips anyone?
 
 
Well, I can't stand being indoors on a nice cloudy Sunday so I am off to walk the wild side...wish me luck!
 
Leave a comment, don't forget to subscribe, and always strive to keep the old ways alive!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment