Sunday, September 24, 2017

Bioluminescence by Boat, Kayaks, Freediving, Scallops, Camping, and Grilling!

" I don't know if I'll ever eat better camping again...or eat better in general, for that matter!" Eric Huynh

Photos: Eric, Karen, Linh and me.



I got a call from my brother the other day asking of I could make our buddy Lee's annual Maritime Campout. At first I thought that I might not be able to make it as I was preparing for a new archaeological excavation taking place the following week. But when I realized I could, I was on the horn immediately getting the details.

We met at the launch point and Justin had his homemade canoe all set up and ready to go. Once my gear was loaded up and Eric had the rest of the supplies on his inflatable, we paddled a mile across open water to our remote pirate cove.



Eric had speared a couple of nice halibut in southern California the day before and brought the fresh fillets for the grill.






I headed out to a secret spot to seek out rock scallops. Their bright orange lips glowed, even in the murky visibility.






I chose not to take a full limit (10) as we only needed a few for appetizers and a couple to bring home. However I was quite happy with my six!




Eric and I tried a new method of opening the scallops (to get the filleting knife in) using a blade of grass to tickle them. It worked! Well, about half the time. My brother says that to get it to work all the time you must also sing to them during the process.



I got to cleaning scallops...

While Lee brought me some awesome Taiwanese corn!

And while Justin prepared kindling and got a bow drill friction fire going (after I failed). What can I say? I am more of a hand drill guy lol!







While Lee grilled amazing Yakitori and Linh shucked oysters, I served the scallop sashimi appetizer.  A fresh course for our five star beach bum beast feast!





When night fell my brother prepared stew in my Dutch Oven from a deer he just got. He also made some incredible rosemary-raisin bushcraft bannock near the coals.





As the night progressed and the sweets came out, Lee grilled one of his world famous spear tip marshmallows!


The bioluminescence was phenomenal! I wish I could have taken some photos to share with you!

A few trash pandas (aka raccoons) tried to take some food, but were unfortunately dealing with experienced folks who keep a clean camp, but their prints were all around when we woke.


Well this turned out to be one of the best camping trips I have been on in a long time! The incredible food was second only to the company!


Quite a handsome rabble huh?

Well I here apples falling and the cider press is ready... gotta go!

Keep the old ways alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment