Sunday, August 30, 2015

Mountain Trout, Goose Berries, Elder Berries, and Pine Needle Tea



“To many a city man there comes a time when the great town wearies him. He hates its sights and smells and clangor. Every duty is a task and every caller is a bore. There come visions of green fields and far-rolling hills, of tall forests and cool, swift-flowing streams. He yearns for the thrill of the chase, for the keen-eyed silent stalking; or, rod in hand, he would seek that mysterious pool where the father of all trout lurks for his lure.”-Horace Kephart, 1917 : Camping and Woodcraft

Sometimes we need to get away from the pace of the city, far from jobs, shops, and luxuries. So it was that I found myself back in the woods, armed with my homemade maple longbow in search of blacktail deer.

Unfortunately I soon realized I was unable to concentrate on the hunt. Sometimes life overwhelms you to the point where you simply cannot escape a problem in your path. You cannot overlook it any longer. That was this past weekend for me.

As I contemplated deeply on the world around me, I hung up my bow and went fishing. After a few minutes casting a trusty Rooster Tail lure, I landed two nice trout.



A short search of the surrounding forest yielded numerous elderberries and perfectly ripe delicious gooseberries (in the family of currents but easily three times the size).




As the fish sizzled away on my old grill I picked young pine tips and brewed a small pot of pine needle tea…loaded with vitamin C and delicious as well!




The meal was fantastic! Just what the doctor ordered.



When I am in a calmer and more grounded headspace I will return to the high country in search of big game.

In the meantime remember to value those closest to you, to thyne own self be true, do unto others as they would do to you, and listen to Johnny Cash when you’re feeling blue!

Keep the old ways alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment