Sunday, December 1, 2013

Homemade Samosas and Foraged Persimmon Chutney



This post will be brief. I had been very busy with school but our friend Patricia got out harvesting and brought us some plump ripe persimmons. These bitter-sweet fruits are one of my late fall favorites.

I was low on cash, but I did have some potatoes, peas, and spices in the house. I decided to mix up a simple dough, rolled it out thin, and got cooking. The organic Yukon gold potatoes and organic peas took on the flavors of turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder, garam masala, and mustard seed. I wrapped up this medley in the dough skins and fried up a little feast. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty my first attempt at homemade samosas came out.

I cooked down the persimmons with a little bit of Alex’s homemade apple cider vinegar, sugar and spices. The chutney did have a little bitter after-taste, but if eaten in the right ratio with the samosas, the combination was incredible!


Get out foraging…or at least keep in contact with those who are…so you can still enjoy the fruits of their harvest. Then, when you positions are switched, and they’re stuck working while you’re out gathering, you can practice some balanced reciprocity and bring them ingredients for a feast!

Keep the old ways alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment